Headset replacement for Pino - any surprises?

For our users and readers who prefer English

Moderator: Wildcate

Antony
Selberplattfußflicker

Headset replacement for Pino - any surprises?

Beitragvon Antony » Di Mai 22, 2012 4:00 am

Well, it's been 3 years and the Pino has been good to us. Aside from the rear wheel, everything has held up well. And my replacement rear wheel (Shimano XT 756 hub to MTB DH rim) is still true!

However, the headset looks like it might be crushed - it started developing some play a few rides back, and on getting home today the top cap rocks back and forth about 1mm. I can see a bit of grease squishing around. I think the bearings are toast :lol:

Does the Pino take a standard integrated headset? Any surprises when removing/refitting it? I've got the Spinner Grind fork (which is probably the next thing thats going to fail).

Antony
Selberplattfußflicker

Re: Headset replacement for Pino - any surprises?

Beitragvon Antony » Fr Feb 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Answering my own question for the benefit of other readers. The Pino 2 Steel has:

[*]a head tube inside diameter of 44mm
[*]a 1" threaded headset with some of the toughest looking bearings I've ever seen
[*]aluminum integrated headset cups pressed in, with what looks like Red Loctite but is probably just paint flakes

It is possible to replace the Pino 2 Steel's headset to fit a 1-1/8" threadless steer tube, but be careful to use strong, strong components. I fit a 1.5" lower external bearing on mine to be safe.

See my fork replacement album here.

I am selling stainless steel press-fit head race steering arms to convert a Pino 2 Steel from a Spinner GRIND fork to a modern suspension fork. Contact me!

Zurück zu „The English Part...“