New rear wheel: advice & offset?

For our users and readers who prefer English

Moderator: Wildcate

Antony
Selberplattfußflicker

New rear wheel: advice & offset?

Beitragvon Antony » So Sep 13, 2009 4:42 am

Well after 2000km the cheap "Hase" rear hub is toast - the freewheel pawls have bent and the hub no longer coasts. Plus the axle is bent. Warranty support after one year is probably difficult/nonexistent, so I guess it's time to build a new wheel.

I'm thinking of using a mountain bike downhill rim like the Mavic EX721, with a Shimano XT 756 hub. I gave up on finding a sturdy tandem hub in 135mm spacing with 6-bolt brake mounts, but perhaps the XT hub can take the strain?

My big question is about the wheel build - I remember reading somewhere that the Pino2 rear wheel needed to be built with 3mm of offset - but to which side? I would assume it would be offset to the non-drive side to try and reduce spoke asymmetry, but if anyone knows for sure, it would be a great help.
Zuletzt geändert von Antony am Mo Sep 14, 2009 5:44 pm, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Pieter
Selberplattfußflicker

Re: New rear wheel: advice & offset?

Beitragvon Pieter » So Sep 13, 2009 8:50 am

Hello Anthony

You got a whole 2000 km’s out of your Hase rear hub? That’s 1400 more then I did.
I did send my one back to Hase and got a replacement free of charge. Thing is, it was the same as the original one, which would probably get the same problem sooner or later.

Contrary to common opinion, I then decided on a decent mountain bike hub and rim.
Simple philosophy, spares could be had anywhere.
I choose a “Disc Bull” rim and a XT FH-M756 hub.
There also is no need for any offset to be considered. I built it up the same way I would do a common MB-wheel and it fitted no problem.

I have since done about 7000 km’s with this setup, and had no problem whatsoever.
I am living in a hilly area, which adds to the strain on the hub.
Also, we are doing long trips with full luggage. The weight of the bike would be in access of 200 kilos. Still, the hub does its job.

I hope it helps you with your decision.

Regards,

Pieter
Dateianhänge
HD 002.jpg
HD 002.jpg (102.95 KiB) 2221 mal betrachtet
HD 001.jpg
HD 001.jpg (115.21 KiB) 2222 mal betrachtet

Antony
Selberplattfußflicker

Beitragvon Antony » Mo Sep 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Pieter,

Thanks for the reply, that's great to hear. I will follow in your footsteps - as long as the XT 756's freewheel can take the chain torque, the bearings can take the weight, and the flanges can take high spoke tension, then the rim I'm thinking of using should be a no brainer:

http://www.atomlab.com/rimpimp.html

Only 32 spokes, but with DT Alpine III and the oversized spoke nipples of the rims, they should be enough!

Antony
Selberplattfußflicker

Beitragvon Antony » Fr Okt 09, 2009 5:49 pm

OK, built the wheel and installed it with no problems. It looks pretty solid (or skookum as a west coaster would say).

Only question: Why the hell is the rear dropout spacing on the Pino 132.5mm. Do they really think someone is going to install a 130mm rear hub on a tandem? :lol: As it is it just makes installing a 135mm MTB hub a pain in the butt. With both hands pulling the dropouts apart, and my head under the captain's seat holding the bike up, I can just squeeze the rear wheel in. All the while the tire is wedging between the chainstays, the disc rotor is catching on the brake pads, the derailleur is pulling the cassette left or right, and the hub axle is turning red with paint flakes. :shock:

Vorne.
Selberrahmendengler

Beitragvon Vorne. » Mo Okt 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Antony hat geschrieben:OK, built the wheel and installed it with no problems.

Nice to hear. You took the real big MTB-rim you've been talking about? Send pix please! :-)
Did you true it with an offset? 3mm as written above?

Antony hat geschrieben:skookum

WTF? ;-)

Antony hat geschrieben:Only question: Why the hell is the rear dropout spacing on the Pino 132.5mm. Do they really think someone is going to install a 130mm rear hub on a tandem? :lol:

why not? You know the Maxi-car hub?
http://mitglied.lycos.de/GiMichael/maxicar_nabe.html
wich is quite a good choice for a tandem (and there a lots of others beside)

Antony hat geschrieben:As it is it just makes installing a 135mm MTB hub a pain in the butt. With both hands pulling the dropouts apart, and my head under the captain's seat holding the bike up, I can just squeeze the rear wheel in. All the while the tire is wedging between the chainstays, the disc rotor is catching on the brake pads, the derailleur is pulling the cassette left or right,

Be sure thats an .... error, due to the shortcoming of accuracy in framebuilding. Well, according to Pino1 there were built in the first generation of "Sachs 3x7", wich had 130 mm indeed.

Antony hat geschrieben:and the hub axle is turning red with paint flakes. :shock:

damned :-( I'd bent the frame up to the size of 135 mm in order to have less stress to your bike's paint and yourself ;-) And be sure to have the dropout still parallel in the end!

bye!

Urs

... who would like to see a pic if it doesn't cause to much trouble...

Antony
Selberplattfußflicker

Beitragvon Antony » Mo Okt 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Just had the dropouts bent out to 135mm - much better. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I don't have a very good photo of the wheel yet - here's some poor quality shots for now. The rim is almost as thick as the tire!
Dateianhänge
Pino_3_Big_Picture.JPG
Pino_3_Big_Picture.JPG (52.12 KiB) 2057 mal betrachtet
creek_crossing.jpg
creek_crossing.jpg (152.84 KiB) 2055 mal betrachtet

Zurück zu „The English Part...“