Dangerous near-accident due to a constructional weakness of the Pino-Porter steering

For our users and readers who prefer English

Moderator: Wildcate

Tan-GO!
Fußgänger

Dangerous near-accident due to a constructional weakness of the Pino-Porter steering

Beitragvon Tan-GO! » Sa Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm

I’d like to share the e-mail (below) that I wrote today to hasebikes to report a dangerous near-accident due to a constructional weakness of the Pino-Porter steering:

Dear Hase-bikes team,
I would like to report to you a dangerous near-accident due to a constructional weakness of the Pino-Porter steering that I had yesterday, hoping that you will take this as an opportunity to improve you product to ultimately improve the safety of your customers and to avoid serious injuries:
When breaking normally at a traffic-light suddenly the right upper steering bar broke (see photo), not surprisingly at the place where the torque is biggest (i.e. where the bar is fixed in the lower part of the steer). I took a photo of the break (enclosed).
I was quite shocked: fortunately I was alone on the bike, but had this happened in the midst of traffic with two of my children (one on the front seat and one in a children’s seat behind mine) suddenly losing the steer may have caused very serious injuries or worse!
The fact that this happened and that the steering tube only has the small diameter and wall thickness that it has is a clear indication that the tube is not sufficiently strong for this bike and its use, in particular bearing in mind that the part of the construction in question has to cope with rather high forces because
• The bike often has a high load (stoker on the front seat, pilot behind the steering, child on rear seat and a bike trailer for children);
• The bike has an electric assist and strong hydraulic breaks, which together creating strong negative accelerations;
• I am a tall cyclist (192cm), thus the upper steering bars had actually been in the highest possible position (but were actually still too low for a cyclist of my height. (I remember that we had corresponded earlier about the question if you could provide a higher steering for me, but you declined, arguing that the tubes are too weak for the forces of an even higher steer. My accident shows that even for the height that you currently deliver the tubes are too weak.)
As a car-free family with three small children we need our Pino porter every day. Can you please help us to quickly find a reliable, SAFE solution for the broken steering? (as a provisional interim-solution I have lowered the bars into the clamps of the lower part of the steering, but this means that the bike is now even less adopted to my height than before. Looking at the also rather thin clamps, I am now also afraid if the steer can also break at other places. For the sake of the safety of your customers, I hope you will swiftly propose a more solid solution, in particular for tall riders the pedelec-version of the Pino. Could a weight-economic solution be to reinforce the lower part of the broken bar by inserting a second, tightly fitting tube to increase the overall wall-thickness? Should the clamp, too, be constructed with bigger wall-thickness? Can you provide an overall higher steering to account for the ergonomic needs of taller cyclists?
I copy this mail to the retailer in Leuven, Belgium, from whom I bought the Pino Porter (as a new bike), and I will also post it on http://www.pinoforum.de/
Thank you very much in advance for your consideration,
Best regards,
Sven Dammann, Brussels
Dateianhänge
20180216_Pino Porter broken steering bar.jpg
20180216_Pino Porter broken steering bar.jpg (2.41 MiB) 303 mal betrachtet

upndown
Selberrahmendengler

Re: Dangerous near-accident due to a constructional weakness of the Pino-Porter steering

Beitragvon upndown » So Feb 18, 2018 12:39 pm

kleiner Vergleich eines Pinolenkers mit einem billigen MTB Lenker zeigt:
- gleicher Außendurchmesser an den Griffen
- deutlich dickerer Außerndurchmesser in der Mitte des MTB Lenkers (konifiziert)
- Materialstärke Pino ca. 1,5mm, Materialstärke MTB (außen): 3mm
- Material Pino: vermutlich Alu, Material MTB: vermutlich Alu (beide nicht magnetisch)

Zwar hinkt der Vergleich, denn die Biegemomente sind bestimmt nicht gleich :?:
Hier noch 2 Bilder mit Waage eines (halben) Pinolenkers mit einem ganzen MTB Lenker auf der Waage.
20180218_114742.jpg
MTB Lenker
20180218_114742.jpg (3.12 MiB) 286 mal betrachtet

20180218_114812.jpg
Pino Lenker
20180218_114812.jpg (3.33 MiB) 286 mal betrachtet

gebrochene MTB Lenker gibt es zwar auch, aber dazu habe ich keine eigenen Erfahrungen (gottseidank)
man kann sich auf nichts mehr verlassen, nicht mal mehr auf die Unzuverlässigkeit des Wetterberichts ;-)
Die Natur kann man nur in der Natur erleben - nicht am PC 8)

eidexe
Selbereinspeicher

Re: Dangerous near-accident due to a constructional weakness of the Pino-Porter steering

Beitragvon eidexe » Mo Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am

Hi Sven,
I had such an accident as well. In my case, the root cause was likely an unwanted ground contact of the bar handle a few months before when my loaded Pino had fallen sideways on slippery ground. Hase reminded me that in such a case it is advised to immediately replace bar handles that may have been damaged. This is of course true for bar handles of "normal" bikes as well.
Best, Volkmar

Mario
Fußgänger

Beitragvon Mario » Sa Mär 31, 2018 8:50 pm

I have never heard of broken handlebars on a standard bike. And those tend to drop quite regularly.

In fact, owning a Pino for two years now and being in the process of acquiring a second I have had extensive talks with vendors, Hase itself and done quite some research regarding parts and components of the bike.

Pino is a great bike, and we own it because it is unique in its suitability, to us that is.

Yet many times I have come across the fact that Hase is far from implementing the most sustainable solution. In fact they choose to take a premium price with a lower quality whenever they can.

The new Pino we are getting is just because it is “individually configured” thru Hases Konfigurator 600€ more expensive, even so it has the same configuration as the topseller. That’s the premium for configuring “individually”. When choosing brakes and gear you pay in full for a Shimano XT only to find out that you’re not getting the full Shimano set. When choosing DT Swiss they charge you the price of a 340 yet give you a 350. And so on...to me that is close to fraud or how some call it ... deceptive.

Overall, I would never buy a Hase if it wasn’t for the uniqueness of the Pino, and as of now I haven’t found an alternative. And I do not mean a cheaper alternative. Many things on the Pino show lack of technical ingenuity and aren’t really thought thru. It is still a bike from the zero years and hasn’t arrived in today’s expectations, to me that is.

Maybe one day, some smarter company will take up the Pino concept and create a more thought thru bike.

The price for a Pino is ok considering it is a niche market.

And no, do not get me wrong. I like my Pino and I am happy to get another one, yet there is much to criticize in detail.

The light system simply sucks. The bottom bracket is still not ready to take up a pinion solution. And so on and forth. Ahh, well maybe in ten years ... but then the Pino hasn’t seen meaningful improvements in the past 5 years, only “optimizations” which make some components cheaper.

Tom
Selberrahmendengler

Beitragvon Tom » So Apr 01, 2018 7:05 am

Maschinell übersetzt der Beitrag von Mario:
"Ich habe noch nie von kaputten Lenkern auf einem normalen Fahrrad gehört. Und die neigen dazu, ziemlich regelmäßig zu fallen.

In der Tat, der Besitz eines Pino für zwei Jahre jetzt und in den Prozess des Erwerbs eines zweiten habe ich umfangreiche Gespräche mit Anbietern, Hase selbst und machte einige der Nachforschungen über Teile und Komponenten des Fahrrades.

Pino ist ein tolles Fahrrad, und wir besitzen es, weil es in seiner Eignung für uns einzigartig ist.

Dennoch bin ich oft auf die Tatsache gestoßen, dass Hase weit davon entfernt ist, die nachhaltigste Lösung zu implementieren. In der Tat entscheiden sie sich für einen Premium-Preis mit einer niedrigeren Qualität, wann immer sie können.

Das neue Pino, das wir bekommen, ist, nur weil es "individuell konfiguriert" ist, durch den Hases Konfigurator 600€ teurer, obwohl es die gleiche Konfiguration wie der Topseller hat. Das ist die Prämie für die "individuelle" Konfiguration. Bei der Wahl der Bremsen und der Schaltung zahlt man den vollen Preis für einen Shimano XT, nur um herauszufinden, dass man nicht das komplette Shimano Set bekommt. Wenn man sich für DT Swiss entscheidet, verlangt man den Preis einer 340, aber man bekommt eine 350. Und so weiter.... für mich ist das fast Betrug oder wie manche es nennen.... trügerisch.

Insgesamt würde ich nie ein Hase kaufen, wenn es nicht die Einzigartigkeit des Pino gäbe, und bis jetzt habe ich keine Alternative gefunden. Und ich meine keine billigere Alternative. Viele Dinge am Pino zeigen einen Mangel an technischem Einfallsreichtum und sind nicht wirklich durchdacht. Es ist immer noch ein Fahrrad aus den Anfangsjahren und ist nicht in den heutigen Erwartungen angekommen, so wie ich das sehe.

Vielleicht wird eines Tages eine schlauere Firma das Pino-Konzept aufgreifen und ein mehr durchdachtes Fahrrad kreieren.

Der Preis für einen Pino ist in Ordnung, wenn man bedenkt, dass es sich um einen Nischenmarkt handelt.

Und nein, verstehen Sie mich nicht falsch. Ich mag meinen Pino und ich bin froh, einen weiteren zu bekommen, aber es gibt viel zu kritisieren.

Das Lichtsystem ist einfach beschissen. Das Tretlager ist noch nicht bereit, eine Ritzellösung aufzunehmen. Und so weiter und so fort. Ahh, vielleicht in zehn Jahren.... aber dann hat der Pino in den letzten 5 Jahren keine sinnvollen Verbesserungen gesehen, nur "Optimierungen", die einige Komponenten billiger machen"

Übersetzt mit http://www.DeepL.com/Translator
Grüße, Tom

Zurück zu „The English Part...“